Applicants to the Helen Gee Chin Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Program must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Plan to enroll full-time as an undergraduate at an accredited U.S. four-year college or university for the entire academic year;
- Have studied one or more of the Chinese Martial Arts – Kung Fu, Wu Shu, or Tai Chi – for a minimum of 5 [five] years; and
- Have a “B” average grade or better.
Scholarship recipients are selected based on the following factors:
- Martial arts achievement (e.g., tournament medals*, contribution to the martial arts);
- Academic achievement;
- An essay explaining what the study of martial arts has meant to the applicant;
- Recommendations; and
- Participation and leadership in community and school activities, work experience, educational and career goals, and unusual circumstances.
Selection of recipients is made by the Trustees of the Helen Gee Chin Scholarship Foundation. Family members of the Trustees are ineligible for the award.
* The expectation of tournament competition may be reduced in the case of special life circumstances (see Section 10 of the application).